We take great pride in supporting people and programs through our charitable giving programs. In our operating communities, we make contributions to many worthwhile organizations and provide scholarships through the Mark E. Reed Scholarship program.
The mission of Green Diamond's contributions program is:
- To improve the quality of life in communities where the company has a significant number of employees living and working.
- To serve as a catalyst for employees to become involved and to provide leadership in their communities.
- Contributions are generally made in locations in which the company has significant operations or land holdings.
- To the extent possible, contributions will support organizations of interest to, or recommended by, company employees.
- Green Diamond prefers to make capital contributions that will benefit the operating communities for the long-term as opposed to contributing operating funds.
- Generally, support is committed for one year at a time and in amounts less than $5,000.
Some of the criteria taken into account in determining the amount of any contribution are:
- The degree of support from company employees.
- Relative size and importance of company operations in the community; balance among Green Diamond communities.
- Needs of organization or program for which funding is requested.
- Amount of previous company contributions to the organization.
- Amount committed by other companies, foundations and/or governments. Projects should demonstrate broad-based community support.
- Proximity of the requesting organization to our operations or administrative offices.
How to apply for a contribution:
If you believe your project or organization meets our geographic criteria (Humboldt and Del Norte Counties) and guidelines, we invite you to apply for a grant.
An email outlining your request is most helpful. For more information, please contact:
Green Diamond Resource Company
Post Office Box 1089
Arcata, CA 95518
Telephone: (707) 268-3078
Fax: (707) 268-3071
If you believe your project or organization meets our geographic criteria and guidelines (Mason, Lewis, Thurston, Grays Harbor and Pacific Counties in Washington), we invite you to apply for a grant.
The application consists of three pages and is relatively simple to complete. For an application form, please contact:
Public Affairs Manager
Northwest Timberlands Division
Green Diamond Resource Company
215 North Third
P.O. Box 9001
Shelton, WA 98584
The Mark E. Reed Scholarship Program has been making grants to deserving students since 1947. The program was established to honor the man who played a significant part in the history and development of our timberlands and who also influenced the education of many young people in Washington state.
Scholarships may be used for tuition, books or living expenses incurred while pursuing education beyond high school. Award recipients must attend school on a full-time basis during the academic year of the scholarship. The school will define this "full-time" requirement. Scholarships of $3,000 each are currently awarded to deserving students attending high schools and colleges in our operating communities.
To be eligible, applicants must qualify as an "employee," "spouse of an employee," "child of an employee" or "resident." There are no restrictions for scholarship recipients as to race, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status or sensory, mental or physical disability. While there are some variables in the selection process, merit is the principal determinant. Local boards evaluate candidates on:
- Qualities of leadership and citizenship
- Seriousness of purpose
- Scholastic achievement
- Ability and capacity for continuing development
- Breadth of outlook as evidenced by participation in activities other than scholastic activities
Applying for a Mark E. Reed Scholarship
Scholarships are available for students in geographical areas where Green Diamond employees work and live. In California, residents of Humboldt and Del Norte counties may apply. In Washington, residents of Mason and Grays Harbor counties may apply.
To download a complete application--including qualifications and application instructions--for either the California or Washington regions, select from the choices below. Each application is available in a PDF format. Please send all completed applications to the address provided on the application.